Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Tween

Last year I read Eragon and loved it. When I went to the bookstore to get the second book I had the embarrassment of being led with all of my judgemental attitude to the tween section by a gum snapping little teenager. I remember leaving the store thinking I would have been better off borrowing the books from my 12 year old niece.

This past weekend my sister borrowed some books from the very same niece and started reading one aloud in the car on the way home from Minnesota. She was reading Twilight.

(Getting read to helps break up the drive and saves us from playing a competitive Alphabet Game in sparsely populated northern Iowa.)

It was clearly another tween book. The writing was kind of juvenile and the story is predictable. I still couldn't help but get sucked in. I was getting giggly and twitterpated at every hint of romance.

We were a little over a third of the way through the book when we got back to Omaha and it killed me that I would have to wait for my sister to finish the book before I could let it take over all of my free time.

She called me yesterday morning (a little over 12 hours after she stopped reading to me in the car) to tell me she was done and offered to drop it off at my office. It sat on my desk behind me for a half a day before I picked it up and wasted the rest of my day reading.

I confessed to Dave last night that I had a new book obsession and he will probably see the book within arm's reach for a while. It didn't take long before he had it out of me that it was my niece's book, and its about teenage vampires. Dave couldn't stop laughing at me.

Sadly, I've stopped writing this twice to read a couple more pages and just knowing its less than 2 feet away is very distracting. So much for the promise I made to read only my lunch hour.

At least this time I know I wont have to face another teenager in book store. I can go directly to my niece for the rest of the Twilight Series.

No comments:

Post a Comment