Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Vegetarians

I wanted to see if I could turn vegetarian for a full 30 days. I love cooking and I thought it would push me out of my comfort zone. Ultimately, I just wanted to see if I could do it.

Dave announced he wanted to try it with me the day I planned to start. The guy that wont eat vegetables unless I hide them in meat wants to see if he can go a whole month without eating meat. The guy that started picking vegetables out of the vegetable lasagna until there was only cheese and pasta left and got more and more irritated with every zucchini chunk thinks he can eat enough vegetables to sustain life. The guy that gagged on a chickpea that I snuck into one of his sandwiches thinks he can get enough protein. I figured he would last a few days, cry uncle and send me off to the grocery store to replenish our supply of flesh.

That night I made poblano and mushroom tacos. I didn't bother making them look fancy. He knew there wasn't meat and I wasn't about to waste time on making it look good if he wasn't going to eat them. 6 tacos later he said "If all of our meals are like this one I don't think I'll miss meat"

We are a little over two weeks into it and I'm not sure I'll go back to eating meat. I thought I would crave meat but the longer I go the less appealing it sounds. I don't feel weighed down after meals, I'm enjoying tracking protein instead of calories, and I've dropped a pound and a half.


Poblano and Mushroom Tacos
Adapted slightly from Epicurious.

2 T Oil
1 poblano chile, seeded, sliced into thin long strips
1/2 small red onion, sliced
2 c crimini mushrooms, sliced
1 t cumin
corn tortillas
thin slices Monterey Jack cheese
cilantro
crumbled feta
diced tomatoes

Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add poblano chile, onion, and mushrooms; sauté mixture until brown, about 5 minutes. Mix in ground cumin. Season and transfer mixture to medium bowl.

Heat remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add tortillas in single layer, draping up sides of skillet to fit. Divide mushroom mixture among tortillas, mounding on only 1 side. Place slice of Monterey Jack cheese atop filling in each tortilla. Fold plain tortilla halves over filling and press firmly. Cook until tortillas are brown, about 1 minute per side. Transfer tacos to plates. Open tacos; sprinkle with cilantro, crumbled feta, and toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment